Sunday, September 16, 2007

aftercare

she was here beside my heart
and then the sun dipped down.
now an atmosphere less vivid
does not sting. I breathe all
by myself. sky happens in a line.
the snow will come. I picture quiet
as the house where we inhabited routine.
I feel the snap of a routine that lasted
days before we left. we walked
against the thin shade of white trees.
we sat in stuffed chairs belonging to a couple
who did not value order,
maybe thought it incompatible with happiness.
we found our pleasure there with tea.
found it in shared solitude. we worked a little
and discussed what we had done. and overnight
something was different in a life
I am an adult who has been young a long time.
I learn to have absorbed this, and I carry
what I have, occasionally putting it down.

No comments: